Friday, April 1, 2011

It's Official - It's Springtime


Yes, it is springtime. This is the proof - the first, the very first apple blossom bloomed today.

Oh, I've known it's spring by the warmer weather, the blasted dusty wind that blows across this high desert country, and by the calendar, of course...but to me the apple blossoms are the surest sign and the most anticipated simply because there is nothing else as beautiful and delicate.

Horatio Alger wrote this poem about them. It's a little on the sappy side, but sweetly sappy is how my heart feels when the apple blossoms bloom.

I sit in the shadow of apple-boughs,
in the fragrant orchard close,
and around me floats the scented air,
with it's wave-like tidal flows.
I close my eyes in a dreamy bliss,
and call no king my peer;
for is not this the rare, sweet time,
the blossoming time of the year?

4 comments:

  1. How lovely to have you pop over to my blog and then to come here and see your AMAZING images and artwork! Oh, I love the Compassion piece and also the raven. Your world seems to be full of poetry - art,life,writing ... I am so happy to be circling with you in Natasha's course.

    xo Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful photo as are all the images you capture.
    I loved the Horatio Alger poem
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, so nice to see your work here. Love the appleblossoms. They will not bloom where I live for another month or more yet.

    Perhaps you can help me: right in the middle of a new posting last week, Blogger suddenly wouldn't allow me to upload photos from my computer. This is a horrible problem. No one seems to have any idea how or why or anything. Do you? ANy ideas gratefully accepted. :)
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemany, what a pain! Is there a message that gives you any information at all? I haven't had that happen...yet.

    ReplyDelete