Monday, May 16, 2011

I Did It!



I did it !!!

I finally finished an Art House Co-op project!

But darned if it doesn't seem that I've missed the deadline. I was absolutely certain that the deadline was June 15 - but Art House is re-designing their website and there is no mention of AMLP...and to make things worse, I happened on a blog post about it with a comment saying that the deadline had passed --- last month.

Oh well, it's in the mail anyway and I had fun doing it.

(Ahhh...a sigh of relief - I finally found something official that says that the deadline for signing up has passed, but the deadline for postmarked entries is June 15. Yes! One or more of mine will be traveling the country this fall - how exciting is that?)

This is what grew from the theme "Neighborhood Characters". At first I started taking photos of people but in short order the 'characters' I was shooting became the city and the surrounding land and people - the culture, I guess you'd say.

Remember, this is a disposable camera; the kind of camera that tilts a quarter inch to the right when you press the capture button, one in which the lens is conveniently located right next to where you hold the camera so at least one in 5 photos includes a finger, and is in general the sort of camera that would be my last resort in any given photo op.

No instant replay, photos that have to be developed before you delete, no photoshop crops and brush ups - and a finite number of frames. There was something about this challenge that I liked.

I haven't shot film in so long that it was like watching a thriller only to have the dvd die out on you right before the story is resolved. But at any rate, here are a few of the ones I sent on to the Brooklyn Art Library. Now I guess I'd better get started on the sketchbook thingy.







2 comments:

  1. Yahoo! Congrats!!! :) I especially love that photo with the steps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I don't know what kind of film they used for this, but it really brought out the blues and cyans - and in many of them gave it a washed out, retro feel that I really like.

    ReplyDelete